Cyber Security Abroad : China Isn’t Having It

      


America is not alone with policing the way in which tech is being done. In my last post, I spoke about America's antitrust bills against big tech. Apparently the United States is late to the party. In China, the agency responsible for policing cyber companies and decided they aren't having any parts of potential information falling into the wrong hands. Historically, China has worked very hard to become the superpower that it is, and it appears that the Chinese government is not willing to take any risks. 

The cybersecurity agency formed by the  Chinese president shortly after coming into office has now launched a probe into Chinese Companies listed in America. I don't know about you, but I am concerned about being able to purchase goods from overseas due to this probe. One company that will be affected by this new probe is one I know well. Alibaba Group Holding Ltd., specifically Ali express, will be impacted by this. I have bought so many things on this platform, and I am sitting here hoping, please, please, do not take my Ali to express away. Ali express, which is similar to America's beloved Amazon, is a platform where a consumer can make purchases of a myriad of items form numerous sellers. 

I know my main concern is rather selfish; however, there are several issues at play here. Alibaba Group Holdings is a Chinese company that also an internationally known multi-billion dollar company. With this probe, what will this mean for the company? Will they have to fork over profit to the government or beef up their cybersecurity in order to satisfy government regulations?  Will the company be allowed to continue to operate and services consumers in the United States or will I have to change my VPN to shop? Seriously, the second factor is the cybersecurity of China, is the Chinese government right to be concerned about cybersecurity when it comes to the United States and any other foreign countries?  Lastly, has big tech and cyber business gotten too big for any government? Will China be able to regulate?


I honestly do not know the answers to these questions but, I do know China has a right and a responsibility to continue to probe into any cyber practices that could potentially negatively impact the safety and security of its citizens.


Now its your turn. What do you think, is China trying to regulate tech for good , or are they doing it for self interest?  Lets discuss in the comments .




Learn More  by reading these articles : 

Comments