Reflecting on Public Discourse , Tech and the. Grand Challenges


Over the past 12 weeks, I took a journey ; engaging in public discourse concerning  technology and Homelessness. I have learned that I first and foremost struggle with public speaking if it is rehearsed. I, however, have learned to stretch myself and jump into speaking because I do have something important to say that is pertinent to the social work community as well as the tech community.

I also learned that being a dynamic individual, I have multiple identities similar to the Johari window. Specifically, there are parts of me that I keep separate. I have an academic self as well as a non-academic self. This course allowed me to explore my identities and how I seek out information. In my personal life, I read newspapers on social media accounts and blogs to receive information. In my academic career, I usually used scholarly, peer-reviewed research to prove a point or explore subject matters through assignments. In this course, I learned I could seek out and evaluate popular media sources for my research as well as traditional academic sources where I never thought about that being an option.  

I have also learned that I had a voice and can engage with others that are not within my field about the work I am doing around the grand challenges.  Through  this course I have also learned when looking at the specific area that I want to focus on technology is looped in with science.  Additionally when it coms to geospatial technology , it is looked at as a science as well despite the fact that technology can be used in any and every field.  


For my career, I believe that to find harmony in how to compel others and speak with others within speech; I can also transfer this to compelling leadership and staff. Secondly, I can use media to engage staff and get them to think about the work they are doing  impacts the outside world. Though at my place of employment, I have a specific set of tasks, I can use my voice to help assist with making change. 


When it comes to the grand challenges, technology is everywhere, and though I am focusing on technology within social work, in my specific place of employment, and in the field, technology is and continues to be used to assist with decision making. I have been able to ok at social media and the internet in a different way, not just for entertainment but to find additional information that I can evaluate and use for my specific grand challenge. 

For the field of social work, what I have learned is that technology though it is not as regulated or comes from a different lens pertaining to ethics as a result when social workers want to use technology to advance decision making especially when it comes to Homelessness, social workers must keep in mind the difference in ethics and not to shy away from technology as it is a helpful tool in the field to help understand the work and if used efficiently, technology can  assist the field in enhancing efficiency .

Comments